Beef Stroganoff with Spicy Horseradish
Total time: 60 mins | Serves: 4-6 |
- 1 Sirloin or Strip Steak, about 1 to 1-1/2 pounds (sliced 1/4 inch thick by 1 inch long)
- 2 onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pound egg noodles, cooked al dente according to package directions.
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons flour + 2 tablespoons butter combined into a paste
- 1 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup Bubbies Spicy Horseradish
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh dill for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until brown and caramelized about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add thyme leaves and sauté 2 more minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside., Add 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil to skillet. Add mushrooms and sauté 5-7 minutes over medium-high heat until they release their juices and soften. Add garlic and sauté 2 more minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil and cook egg noodles al dente. Strain.
- Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. Brown in a pan with olive oil over medium-high heat in two batches. Transfer to a bowl when done. Set aside.
- Deglaze pan with 1/2 cup red wine; cook and reduce by half, scraping bits from bottom of pan, about 3 minutes. Whisk in flour/butter paste and beef broth until well incorporated. Cook about 5 minutes more until thickened. Add beef back to pan and cook a few more minutes until heated through.
- Add mushrooms, caramelized onions and lemon juice to pan and stir together. Cook for 2 more minutes. Add horseradish and sour cream. Stir just until combined and warmed. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Garnish with fresh dill and serve immediately over noodles.