Bubbies Caesar Salad
Cook time: 20 mins | | Serves: 4-6 |
- 2 heads Escarole or Romaine lettuce - cleaned and torn
- 2-3 handfuls of baby kale
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4-6 cups torn bread for croutons
- olive oil
- 4 anchovies - chopped
- 2 tsp Bubbies horseradish
- 1 garlic clove - minced
- 2 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Toss torn bread with olive oil, salt and pepper and toast on a sheet pan for 10 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees until golden and crispy. You can also cook on the stove top in a skillet.
- In a bowl combine horseradish, garlic, dijon, red wine vinegar and lemon juice. Addchopped anchovies and mash with a spoon on the side of the bowl with other ingredients until combined. Slowly whisk in 1/2 cup olive oil, add a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper - taste and adjust if necessary. Add more olive oil if acidity is too strong and more horseradish to your taste. Set aside.
- Place greens and croutons in a large bowl with half of the parmesan cheese then tosswith half of the dressing. Taste and add more dressing and parmesan to your liking.