Choucroute Garnie: Dressed Sauerkraut
Prep time: 10 mins |Cook time: 50 mins |Total time: 60 mins
- 4 ounces bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 2 chicken leg quarters
- 2 bratwurst
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 small potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 2 cups Bubbies Naturally Fermented Sauerkraut
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups Riesling, or other dry white wine
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grainy mustards and horseradish, for serving
- In a large pan, sauté the bacon until crispy. Remove to a paper towel lined plate and reserve for later.
- Sprinkle the chicken legs with salt and pepper and add them, along with the bratwurst, to the bacon drippings in the pan. Cook on medium high heat until browned on both sides. Remove the meat to a plate.
- Add the onion to the pan and sauté until softened, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the potatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute another five minutes.
- Stir in the allspice and the naturally fermented sauerkraut, sautéing for another five minutes. Stir frequently to allow the flavors to blend together.
- Add the wine and bay leaf, scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then add the bratwurst and chicken back to the pan. Continue to simmer until chicken and brats are cooked through. Before serving, remove the bay leaf and stir in the reserved bacon.
- Serve immediately with grainy mustards and horseradish.