CranApple Kraut Appetizers
Prep time: 15 mins |Cook time: 25 mins |Total time: 40 mins
- 1 firm apple, such as Pink Lady or Granny Smith
- 1/3 cup Bubbies Naturally Fermented Sauerkraut (drained)
- 5-6 Baby carrots
- 4 Sweet peppers
- ½ cup fresh Cranberries
- 1-2 heads of Belgian endive lettuce
- 1.5 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 Olive oil
- 1.5 Tbsp Honey
- 2 Tbsp Greek yogurt
- Add whole cranberries to a pot with a ¼ cup water; bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Once some of the berries have started to pop open, turn the heat down to medium and add honey.
- Let the mixture simmer for another few minutes, then remove berries from the pan, and set aside.
- Simmer the liquid for another couple minutes. The result should be a syrupy, cranberry colored liquid.
- Pour the liquid into a medium-sized bowl, and let the syrup cool down while you prep the veggies and apple.
- Chop carrots, peppers, and apples into cubes or thin matchsticks. We used Pink Lady apples- they seem to oxidize less, hold up well, and have a perfectly sweet and tart flavor.
- Measure out the sauerkraut and drain it well.
- Add oil and vinegar to the bowl with the cranberry syrup and whisk together vigorously until it’s well-mixed.
- Add all vegetables, sauerkraut, and fruits, and toss well.
- Add Greek Yogurt and stir again until mixed and creamy.
- Break off individual leaves of the endive and fill the cup of the leaves with salad, or enjoy this salad all by itself! Makes approximately 12 appetizers.