Creamy Dill Pickle Soup| | | Print
Prep time: 10 mins |Cook time: 25 mins |Total time: 35 mins |
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 large Bubbies Naturally Fermented Pickles, (about 3 cups) chopped
- 2/3 cup dill pickle brine from jar or water
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh dill, for garnish
- Melt butter in a large pot. Sauté onion until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in broth, dill pickles, pickle liquid, and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, blend together flour, sour cream, and some of the hot soup until smooth.
- Add sour cream mixture to the pot and bring to a boil, whisking often. Reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve soup as is or puree to a creamy consistency. Garnish with dill.
- To puree soup: Add about 1/3 of the soup to a blender then puree until smooth (be careful as hot liquid expands when blended). Transfer soup to a large bowl. Repeat with the remaining soup. Pour all of the soup back into the pot. Simmer until hot again.