Czech Sauerkraut Soup
Prep time: 15 mins |Cook time: 45 mins |Total time: 60 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 kielbasa (7 ounces), diced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1-1/2 cups drained Bubbies Naturally Fermented Sauerkraut
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 4 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- Sour cream, for serving (optional)
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish (optional)
- In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add kielbasa and cook 3 minutes or until fat starts to render, stirring frequently.
- Stir in onion; cook 5 minutes or until onion is softened; stirring occasionally.
- Stir in naturally fermented sauerkraut and paprika. Cook 2 minutes or until sauerkraut is softened, stirring constantly.
- Stir in potatoes and broth. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 30 to 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with sour cream and chives, if desired.