Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Toasts
Total time: 60 mins | Serves: 4 |
- 10 Roma or heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup Bubbies Naturally Fermented Sauerkraut, drained
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 1 cup fennel, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 28-ounce can San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or sugar
- ½ cup cream (optional)
- 4-6 slices of artisan bread
- 4 ounces of aged white cheddar, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fennel fronds, chopped for garnish (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat oven to 250 degrees. Toss fresh tomatoes and garlic cloves with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, a pinch of salt, and pepper; place cut side down on parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 1 hour. Remove from oven, cool briefly, and remove skins.
- While tomatoes are roasting, in a soup pot heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add shallot, fennel, salt, and pepper. Cook 3-5 minutes until soft.
- Turn heat to low. Add oregano, and cook for a few more minutes. Add canned tomatoes and all the juice plus water and a bit of maple syrup or sugar. Continue to cook on low for 20 minutes., Add roasted tomatoes and sauerkraut to pot and cook for 10 more minutes., With immersion blender, puree soup to desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Add cream for a richer soup. Serve soup with a tablespoon of sauerkraut, some fennel fronds and a drizzle of olive oil. (If you prefer a smoother soup, strain it before adding cream).
- To make grilled cheese toasts, preheat oven to Broil.
- Place bread slices on parchment-lined baking sheet and brush with remaining olive oil. Place cheese slices on bread and broil until melted and slightly crispy.
- Serve with freshly ground pepper alongside the tomato soup.