Ultimate Grilled Cheese with Onion Relish
Cook time: 30 mins | | Serves: 3-4 |
- 6-8 slices bread - sourdough, or any Pugliese style bread
- 16-18 Bubbies Bread & Butter Pickles - drained well
- Dijon mustard
- 6-8 oz of your favorite 2 cheeses
- 4 T butter - room temperature
- 3 sweet onions - thinly sliced
- 3 T butter
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- In a medium skillet over medium heat 3 T butter and a drizzle of olive oil - add the onion and cook for 10-12 minutes until it begins to caramelize, you may need to turn down the heat.
- Add the brown sugar, balsamic vinegar and dijon, stir well and continue to cook until onions are nicely caramelized and flavors have blended. Remove from heat, transfer to bowl to cool.
- Spread a thin layer of dijon on bread, next layer the cheeses, pickles and finally some onion relish. Butter the top piece of bread and close the sandwiches with butter side out.
- Heat a large skillet or panini press on medium with 2 T butter, when melted and hot carefully transfer 1 or 2 sandwiches to pan (buttered side up) and cook on each side of bread until golden and crispy to taste.