Total time: 60 mins | Serves: 4 |
- 1 pound stew meat, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1-2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced into 1/2 inch
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced 1/4 inch
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 quart beef stock
- 2 cups Bubbies Naturally Fermented Sauerkraut + 1/2 cup brine
- 1 small sweet potato, cut into ½-inch chunks
- 2 small red potatoes, cut into ½-inch chunks
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cups pearl onions, skins removed. (Place onions in boiling water for 3-5 minutes, then peel off skins)
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs of thyme, stemmed
- Salt and pepper
- Prepare meat: salt, pepper, and dust with flour to coat all sides. Put olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add meat in two batches, and brown on all sides. Set aside in a bowl.
- Add more olive oil to the same pan, and sauté onion, carrots, garlic, and celery with a pinch of salt and pepper for 3-5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add red wine and deglaze, scraping bits from bottom of the pan, until wine is reduced by half.
- Add tomato paste and stir until dissolved, then add beef stock, 1/2 cup sauerkraut brine, potatoes, mushrooms, pearl onions, bay leaves, thyme and the meat - cover and cook over a low simmer for 20-25 minutes. If stew is too thick, add more stock; if it’s too thin, mix 1-2 tablespoons flour with 1/4 cup warm stock until dissolved, add to stew and mix well.
- Continue to cook on low for 15 more minutes until vegetables are done and flavors are blended. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Garnish each bowl with a heaping tablespoon of Bubbies Naturally Fermented Sauerkraut.