Recipes from Bubbie’s Kitchen
Sauerkraut Stuffed Chicken
Prep time: 15 mins |Cook time: 60 mins |Total time: 75 mins
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups Bubbies Naturally Fermented Sauerkraut, drained, juice reserved
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Place the chicken breasts in a bowl and cover with the reserved Bubbies naturally fermented sauerkraut Sauerkraut juice. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crispy. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside. Discard all but 2 tablespoons of bacon grease. Add the onion to the pan and cook until translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in the naturally fermented sauerkraut and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the bacon.
- Remove the chicken from the naturally fermented sauerkraut juice and pat dry. Using a meat mallet or the back of a sauté pan, beat the chicken until ½-inch thick.
- Add a few heaping tablespoons of the stuffing to one half of each chicken breast. Fold the other half over to cover the naturally fermented sauerkraut mixture. Use 1-2 toothpicks to hold the chicken together.
- Heat olive oil in the same pan used to cook the stuffing. Add the stuffed chicken breasts to the pan and cook for 3 minutes on each side. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the juices run clear and the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the toothpicks and serve immediately.