Recipes from Bubbie's Kitchen
Cook time: 60 mins | | Serves: 8-10 |
- 3/4 cup unsulfured mild molasses
- 1 T freshly grated ginger
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup oil (coconut, sunflower)
- 1 cup Bubbies Naturally Fermented Sauerkraut - drained and chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 T crystalized ginger - chopped
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup boiling hot water
- powdered sugar or whip cream for serving.
- ½ cup ginger brew
- 1 T fresh lime juice
- 1 ¼ cup powdered sugar
- In a small sauce pan heat ginger brew and reduce by half.
- Remove from heat and pour into a bowl, let cool for 5 minutes. Add lime juice and slowly whisk in powdered sugar.
- Taste and adjust if necessary. Drizzle over cooled cake.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 9 x 3 inch cake pan and place parchment on the bottom.
- In a bowl whisk together the sugar, molasses, ginger, sauerkraut, oil and eggs until well combined. In another bowl combine the flours, cinnamon, cloves, ground ginger, nutmeg and baking powder.
- In another small bowl pour the boiling water over the baking soda, stir and then gradually stir into the molasses mixture until combined. Gradually whisk dry ingredients into wet batter.
- Pour into cake pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool 20-30 minutes in pan on cooling rack. Run a knife along edges of pan to release cake and gently turn onto cake plate.
- Serve with powdered sugar or ginger glaze.