Recipes from Bubbie’s Kitchen
Sauer Apple Strudel
Total time: 75 mins | Serves: 6-8 |
- 4 large apples (Granny Smith or other tart apple), peeled and sliced into 1/4” wedges
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or sugar
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup raisins (or substitute dried cranberries or cherries)
- 1 cup Bubbies Naturally Fermented Sauerkraut
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 package phyllo dough, thawed according to directions on box
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare apples and toss in a bowl with fresh lemon juice., In a large skillet melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add apples and cook for 5 minutes. Add cinnamon, vanilla, and maple syrup; cook 2 more minutes. Turn off heat and gently toss in raisins, sauerkraut and 1/2 cup chopped nuts., Pour mixture onto a baking sheet and spread out to cool while preparing dough.
- Melt ½ cup butter and pour into a shallow dish. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Open phyllo dough and gently unroll. Count out 8 sheets. (Roll the remaining sheets, wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and place in refrigerator for another use.)
- Place one phyllo sheet on parchment paper, and use pastry brush to brush with butter. Place another sheet on top of buttered one, and continue process 6 more times until all 8 sheets are buttered and layered., Sprinkle 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts along long side of dough closest to you, only about 4 inches wide and leaving the ends. Next, take cooled apple mixture and spread over walnuts, again leaving the ends.