Recipes from Bubbie’s Kitchen
Beet Hollandaise Eggs Benedict
Total time: 35 mins | Serves: 4 |
- 4 slices artisan bread, brushed with olive oil and toasted
- 1 bunch asparagus (12-15 stalks) trimmed
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 4 eggs, poached
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Bubbies Beet Horseradish
- 1 avocado, mashed with a squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives chopped
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly toast bread.
- Divide asparagus into 4 portions and wrap each with slice of prosciutto around middle of bundle. Place each bundle on a baking sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Brush each bundle of asparagus with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes until prosciutto is crispy and asparagus is cooked.
- Fill a large saucepan half full of water. Add 1 tablespoon vinegar and bring to simmer for poached eggs.
- While asparagus is cooking, make hollandaise: In a small pan melt 1 stick butter; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat 2 inches of water until simmering, then reduce heat to low.
- Place egg yolks in a medium glass bowl. Place bowl over water in medium saucepan. Whisk egg yolks until mixture bubbles at edges, then add lemon juice.
- Slowly whisk in melted butter until all butter is incorporated. Keep whisking into a nice smooth thick sauce. Next, slowly whisk in the beet horseradish. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and freshly ground pepper; add more lemon juice if necessary.
- Immediately place sauce into a thermos with a lid to keep warm until ready to use. Or leave in bowl and cover with plastic wrap and keep warm. Just don’t continue to cook it.
- In a small bowl mash avocado with a bit of fresh lemon juice, salt, and freshly ground pepper.
- Now make poached eggs: Crack 1 egg into a small bowl and gently add to simmering water. Continue with remaining eggs. Cook for 3-4 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon and gently set aside on warm plate.
- To serve: top each toast with avocado mash, then a bundle of asparagus, followed by the egg, and finally a nice drizzle of beet horseradish hollandaise. Garnish with fresh chives, salt, and freshly ground pepper.