Recipes from Bubbie's Kitchen
Butternut Squash Sauerkraut Soup
Prep time: 15 mins |Cook time: 45 mins | Total time: 65 mins | Serves: 4-6
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups diced butternut squash
- 2 cups diced sweet potatoes
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup milk (or nondairy alternative)
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- ¼ cup Bubbies Sauerkraut Brine
- Bubbies Sauerkraut, pomegranate arils, dill
- Add olive oil to a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 5-8 minutes, until softened.
- Meanwhile, peel squash and remove seeds. Dice. Peel sweet potatoes and dice.
- Add garlic to pot and cook for additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add squash, potatoes, salt and pepper and continue cooking for 8-10 minutes, until the squash starts to soften.
- Add broth, milk, maple syrup and sauerkraut brine and increase heat to high.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until squash is tender.
- Carefully transfer soup to a heat-safe blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serve topped with Bubbies sauerkraut, pomegranate and fresh dill.