Recipes from Bubbie's Kitchen
Cornmeal Crusted Calamari with Spicy Horseradish
Total time: 35 mins | Serves: 4 |
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2-3 tablespoons Bubbies Spicy Horseradish
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 ½ pounds calamari, cleaned, with bodies cut into ½ inch rings
- 2 cups cornmeal
- ½ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oil (avocado, coconut or other) for frying
- To make aioli, combine mayonnaise, horseradish, lemon juice, chives, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Mix cornmeal, flour, and spices in a shallow dish. Whisk eggs together in another shallow dish.
- Dry calamari rings in a paper towel and lightly salt and pepper them. Have a baking sheet nearby to transfer calamari onto after dipping., Take a small handful of calamari and dip into egg mixture, then into cornmeal mixture to coat. Shake off excess and transfer to baking sheet and continue with remaining rings.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees, and line a baking sheet with paper towels. This will keep the cooked calamari warm while frying., To a large, deep skillet add desired oil about ¼- ½ inch deep. Heat over high heat to about 350 degrees. Add calamari, working in batches without crowding, and cook until golden brown on each side., Remove with a slotted spoon to lined baking sheet, and keep warm in oven while frying remaining fish.
- Serve warm with horseradish aioli.