Recipes from Bubbie’s Kitchen
Sweet Potato and Parsnip Latkes
Cook time: 30 mins | | Serves: 6 |
- 1 Japanese sweet potato - peeled and shredded
- 1 parsnip - peeled and shredded
- ¼ cup flour
- avocado oil or other frying oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup Bubbies Naturally Fermented Sauerkraut - drained well
- Creme fraiche or sour cream
Apple Chutney Ingredients
- 2 granny smith apples - peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 shallot - minced
- 1 garlic clove - minced
- 2 T candied ginger
- 2 T orange juice - freshly squeezed
- 2 T cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 T maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- fresh dill for garnish
- olive oil
- In a small saucepan saute' shallot and garlic in olive oil briefly then add apples and saute’ 1-2 minutes more with a pinch of salt.
- Add candied ginger, orange juice, apple cider vinegar, currants and syrup - mix well and continue to cook until apples are slightly soft and flavors are blended about 5 more minutes. Set aside to cool. Taste and adjust if necessary.
- To make the latkes, wash and dry sweet potato and parsnip, then peel and shred them. Toss together in a bowl with a pinch of salt, pepper and flour. There shouldn’t be any moisture in this mixture as the potato and parsnip are dry. Cook one first and see how if holds together then add a bit more flour if necessary.
- In a cast iron or heavy skillet heat 1-2 tablespoons oil over medium high heat. Add about 2-3 tablespoons of shredded mixture to make each latke. Cook until golden on each side, adjust heat as necessary., Keep warm in oven on serving platter. Makes about 17-20.
- Serve with apple chutney, creme fraiche, sauerkraut and fresh dill.