Recipes from Bubbie’s Kitchen
Total time: 150 mins | Serves: 2-4 |
- 2 teaspoons rapid-rising yeast
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 4 cups flour
- 1 ½ cup warm water, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- You can also use your favorite store-bought pizza dough
- 6-7 little white or red potatoes
- 2 bratwurst (remove casings), 3-4 large shallots, about 2 cups, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons white cooking wine
- ½ - ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 apple (Gravenstein, Gala, Empire or Granny Smith), thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded fontina cheese
- 1 cup Bubbies Naturally Fermented Sauerkraut, drained
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees, with pizza stone if using one.
- Steam potatoes for 7-10 minutes, then remove from heat to cool. Don’t cook them completely; they should have a slight hardness in center once sliced.
- Remove bratwurst from casing and cook over medium heat until done. Set aside in bowl.
- Sauté shallots in butter with a pinch of salt and pepper for 3-5 minutes on medium heat until caramelized. Add wine and deglaze pan.
- Add cream and simmer shallots for 3-5 minutes until thickened. Add more cream for desired thickness; remove from heat and set aside., Thinly slice potatoes and apples., Divide dough into 2 equal balls. Roll out each dough ball and transfer to a baking sheet or pizza pan sprinkled with cornmeal or flour so the dough doesn’t stick. Lightly brush dough with olive oil. Spread creamy shallots evenly onto crust, leaving about ½”-1” from border.
- Add cheese, apples, potatoes, and sausage. Transfer pizza to oven, either onto the hot stone or in pizza pan.
- Bake 10-15 minutes until crust is brown and cheese is melted.
- Top with sauerkraut and enjoy!