Recipes from Bubbie’s Kitchen
Herb-Crusted Rack of Lamb
Total time: 75 mins | Serves: 4-6 |
- 2 racks of lamb, bones trimmed and frenched
- 1/3 cup Bubbies Prepared Horseradish (press out all excess brine)
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted, skinned and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs or panko
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Trim each rack of excess fat and season with salt and pepper. Let rest on a baking sheet at room temperature for 30-45 minutes.
- Toast hazelnuts in oven for about 8-10 minutes. Let cool, then rub together with a kitchen cloth; this will remove most of the skins. Don’t worry about removing all. Finely chop or pulse in a food processor., To make crust, combine horseradish, hazelnuts, crumbs, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large ovenproof skillet on medium-high heat. When the oil is hot add one lamb rack, meat side down, and sear well on each side and end. Set aside and sear the second rack.
- Brush each rack with olive oil and coat each rack with the crust, patting the mixture a bit so it sticks. Arrange each rack crust side up on a baking sheet or in the same skillet and roast for 20-25 minutes. Insert a thermometer and check for desired doneness (125 degrees for rare). Let racks rest for about 5 minutes before carving.
- Cut each lamb rack between the bones and serve.