Recipes from Bubbie's Kitchen
Tempura-Style Fried Fish
Total time: 30 mins | Serves: 4 |
- 1 to 1-1/2 pounds white-fleshed fish, cut into 2-inch x 3-inch pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 12 ounces beer (your choice)
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup Bubbies Prepared Horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Bubbies Kosher Dill Relish
- 1 tablespoon Bubbies Kosher Dill Pickle brine
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- Lemon, cut into wedges
- Make tartar sauce for dipping. Combine mayonnaise, yogurt, horseradish, Worcestershire, lemon juice, relish, brine, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate.
- Prepare batter by combining flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and beer. Put panko into a shallow dish for dipping.
- Prepare the fish by removing any bones and salting. Slice into 2-inch x 3-inch pieces. Heat oil in deep fryer or deep stock pot., Dip each piece of fish into batter, then roll in panko. Carefully place into hot oil for frying.
- Cook until golden brown and set on paper towels to absorb excess oil., Serve with French fries, lemon wedges, and tartar sauce.