Recipes from Bubbie's Kitchen
Pickle Juice Brined Turkey
Prep time: 12-24 Hours mins |Cook time: 4 Hours mins | | Serves: 10-12
- 15 lb. turkey
- 6 cups pickle brine (leftover from approx. 3 jars of Bubbies pickles - can use Kosher dill, bread and butter chips of a mix of both)
- 6 cups water (or more to cover turkey)
- 1 cup salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp peppercorns
- 2 tsp celery seeds
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch of fresh dill
- ½ cup butter, melted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add turkey to a large pot. Add pickle brine, water (enough to cover the turkey completely - this varies depending on the size of the pot and turkey), salt, brown sugar, mustard seeds, peppercorns and celery seeds.
- It’s important to make sure the turkey is fully submerged in the brine, so if you need to, set something heavy on top to keep it submerged.
- Cover and refrigerate for 12-24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 500˚F and prep a roasting pan.
- Remove turkey from brine and rinse thoroughly. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Stuff the cavity with quartered onion, lemons, garlic and dill.
- Use your fingers to loosen and lift the skin on the breast. Tuck the wings under the bird and use twine to tie the legs together.
- Brush the entire turkey liberally with melted butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 30 minutes at 500˚F, then cover turkey with aluminum foil (to prevent skin from burning) and reduce heat to 350˚F.
- Roast for about 3 hours, until the temperature reaches 165˚ in the thickest part of the turkey breast.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 30 minutes. Optional: brush with more melted butter before serving.